9.06.2011

Hippocrates in the ED, and the Hypocritic Corpus

by Domhnall Brannigan


Hippocrates in the ED


In the hiatus of a difficult night
Among unwashed hordes:
Disease and pending death lurked
As traps to find me out

Diaphoresis
Fear and icterus
Sanguine in mind but just that:
Exsanguinating

But first we must do no harm!

This is true torture:
Must I be cruel to be
Kind?

In deed indeed


The Hypocritic Corpus

As I stand over this
Screaming
     (human?)
Patchwork
Scarred
Scared
Amphetamine fuelled
Pulsing rage
With a syringe of midazolam
     (fantazaslam!)
Invoking the Mental Health Act
     (the gospel according to psychiatry!)
As if I believe in it

I realise this does not rest easy
With the mumbled Greek of Hippocrates,
Sworn in a marbled hall in another life

When I believed in it